Saturday 13 July 2013

Book review : The Longest Holiday - Paige Toon


"Summer time and the living is easy" ... or in my case, the reading is easy. When I'm in summer holiday mode and my brain is running at half speed, I like nothing better than chilling out with a few uncomplicated, feel-good reads. When packing my holiday suitcase, chicklit is as essential as suncream and my swimsuit. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think so because I always receive lots of chicklit to review in the run up to summer.

Well, Paige Toon's The Longest Holiday is the perfect poolside read. It has all the elements of classic chicklit that you'd expect - romance, heartache, an exotic location and a group of girlie best mates - but it also has a nail-biting plotline that had me hooked.

The central character Laura is totally believable and I really felt for her. She's recently married Matthew, her rock, who helped her through the dark days when she was grieving her first true love. Everything's set up for a happy ending. Then he receives a Facebook message from a girl, asking if he is the Matthew Perry that was in a certain club on the night of his stag-do and saying that they need to talk. As Laura's world implodes, her best friend Marty whisks her away from the heartache and humiliation at home for a much-needed girlie break in the Florida Keys. The sunshine, cocktails and sexy men are just what the doctor ordered to take Laura's mind off things. One man in particular - the sultry Leo from the diving school.

As the holiday draws to a close, Laura is torn. Should she stand by her husband for better or worse or can she really run away and live in her newly-found paradise for ever? And what about her friends and family, her job, her lack of visa? It's one of those books that had me mentally cheering on Laura, urging her to make the best decision (in my opinion) and silently screaming at her when she was leaning towards the other option. Right up until the very end, it could go either way and this will-she-won't-she? tension had me turning the pages way past my bedtime, especially as the drama unfolds just as Laura looks poised to get her happy ending.

Laura is a complex but totally ordinary character that I could really identify with. The supporting cast of characters are also portrayed really well, with believable lifestories and emotional baggage. I particularly liked the mismatched family group in Key West.

It's a lovely, feel-good, lightweight read that is absolutely ideal for packing in your suitcase.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £7.99

  • Paperback: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK (25 April 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1471113396
  • ISBN-13: 978-1471113390
  • Product Dimensions: 19.8 x 13 x 3 cm




Disclosure : I received a review copy of the book.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Book review : Autobiography of Us - Aria Beth Sloss

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good read,I love reading so will add it to my list of books I want to read :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...